Tuesday, May 17, 2011

S-M-R-T

It's raining today. And whenever it rains, I feel the need to hibernate with my books. Right now those books happen to be my second run through of the Hunger Games series. What? They're making a movie soon. (Interpretation: I feel like I have an excuse to re-read the series rather than attempting to become cultured by reading other books.)

However, the hibernation today will be short lived because I'm going to my first day at my new job. I'm finally being shoved into the work force. I can no longer claim that I am a student and get by with the government giving me money and spending my time studying (but I have to admit, that was really cool while it lasted). All of this has come about because I officially have a bachelors degree. I'm graduated.

It took four years but when I got this letter in the mail a few months ago I could not help feeling a bit apprehensive.

*Bad picture I know... but that big bold print they obviously wanted me to see reads
"Important Graduation Information."
Although I'm sure they did not mean too be harsh... they
definitely did not bother breaking it to me softly. *

I thought this day would be a day of rejoicing... No more finals, no more train rides, no more text books, no more part time minimum wage jobs without benefits. No sir. After graduating I would be free to read books that I wanted to read, I could spend weekends doing things I wanted to do, I would sleep through the night without waking up will while listing biology terms in my sleep. So why the feeling of anxiety?

I'll tell you why. I'm so happy with my choice of majors, I'm sure it's what I want to do. But with my degree you can't really do much of anything unless you have a masters degree and thus, your practicing license. And to do that, you have to get into grad school. Well, I didn't.

*We hung the deacceptance letter on our fridge because sometimes I
think it's important to embrace the failure...but it's mostly just cause we're cool.*

Suddenly, I didn't have a plan for my future. That's why I was anxious. Luckily when the deacceptance came I had just bought myself a big '0l dish of the Rio... Lets just say I finished the burrito that night and leave it at that. After I gorged myself and had some time to embrace the failure, I did feel a bit relieved relieved. I was relieved that I wouldn't have to be a grad student because, that's hard stuff! And among many other benefits that came along with this failure (which I won't bore you with), I found that these things usually happen for a reason. Life is about Plan B anyway right? Plus, I'm graduated!

So, the moral of the story is that someone (and by the way, He is way smarter than you) has always got your back. It's usually best when life doesn't go exactly the way I plan it anyway because let's face it... I have no idea what I'm doing.

Weather update: it's actually snowing a bit now... thank you Utah.

*Will has already proclaimed that he is going to convince our children that I
graduated from the Y. I tried to make sure that wouldn't be a possibility. *


1 comment:

  1. I will help Will in his task. You did graduate from the Y! Where is the job?!

    ReplyDelete