Thursday, June 2, 2011

24601

We went to Les Miserables


Before we went to the show I got a lot of questions to the point of "Why would you want to see that show? It's sooo sad?!" For a while I had to agree with them, stick to my resolve, hold up my chin, stumble on some words as I tried to explain, then leave them hoping one day they would see the light.
But I've thought about it a bit since the show. And the I think that one of the reasons this show is so awesome is because it is so sad! Think about it...all of the books that we was forced to read year after year during school are the ones that made the class think and feel the most. Por Exemplo: Merchant of Venice, Man's Search for Meaning, Night, To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men. I think I cried a bit in all of them.
That's why I think Monsieur Hugo had the right idea. He wanted to make people think, and feel. I'm betting Victor got asked the same question as I did a lot because this is what he said:
"I condemn slavery, I banish poverty, I teach ignorance, I treat disease, I lighten the night,and I hate hatred. That is what I am, and that is why I have written Les Miserables."
Come on people, we're talking the French Revolution here! Of course it is going to be sad! But every time I see it I walk away with warm fuzzies and feelings of empowerment and all around goodness.
I'm not an artsy fartsy person... all the time... but sometimes I get this little tiny glimpse of understanding into why my teachers made such a big deal about it all the time. It's a way to teach, enlighten, and express a mass of people.... So suck it up whimps!
Anyway....ahem.... It was a really really really great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment